Friday, November 25, 2005

Chapter 25.5 - Take a letter Maria

“Hello Weatherby Walker estate agents, Natalie speaking, how can we help you?”
“Nat, it’s Maria, you okay to chat?”
“If you’re quick, they’re all out on visits so I’m on my own in the office.”
“You’ll never guess what that twat Jim has done now!”
“What? I thought you weren’t in touch?”
“We weren’t! I told you about the sixty day thing didn’t I?”
“Yep, so what’s he done?”
“He wrote me a letter.”
“Oh, what does it say?”
“I don’t know, I haven’t opened it.”
“Are you going to?”
“I don’t know, and that’s not really the point - he was supposed to stay out of contact for sixty days, and he couldn’t even do that right!”
“Sorry Maria, I’ve got a customer, can I call you back?”
“Meet me for lunch? Pret a Manger at 12.15? Bye”


Wanker. I told him not to get in touch with me! Okay, I admit that the sixty day thing was a bit of a trick. It is a recognised technique for getting over a break-up, but I just didn’t want to see him and thought it would be a good way of achieving than. I didn’t even tell him where I was going to live, and I changed my mobile number. Of course I never thought he’d be stupid enough to send me stuff at work! What was he thinking! Now what am I going to do with it? I can’t pretend it doesn’t exist. I can’t throw it away. But I can’t read it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Jim (work)
From: Nicky Heath
Subject: You bastard

How could you? What’s all this writing to me at work crap about? I thought we’d agreed not to get in touch? What gives you the right to invade my workplace with your shit? There better be a good reason why you sent it, although as I don’t intend to read it I’ll never now. Don’t bother me again you twat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Perhaps I’ll get Nat to open it and tell me how bad it is? Oh but that’ll never work, I’ll just want to know what it says and make her tell me anyway. I could shred it, then there’s no going back. Oh God, I’m just going to have to read it aren’t I. I can’t just leave it on my desk and get on with my work, this’ll drive me mad! Okay, I’ll put it in my draw, no my bag. Out of sight out of mind. I must get on with some work, this is madness!



“Dear Nicky,

I know I agreed to your sixty day thing but I’m hoping enough time has passed for you to read this in the spirit it is written. I’m not going to beg you to come back, I realise that’s never going to happen. And I’m not going to repeat how sorry I am, because you’ve heard that before and I don’t think you believe me. But I want to tell you that I’ve changed, I’ve learnt from what I did and I hope I’ve grown. You meant more to me than I realised and I’ve missed you like mad since you left. Yes, I know you can never trust me again, but I wish we could be friends. Will you meet me for lunch? A drink maybe? Come round and see the cat - he misses you like mad. I miss you like mad! How did I manage to let the best thing that ever happen to me just up and leave?”
Fucking bastard, fucking fucking bastard.



“Hello Weatherby Walker-”
“Fucking hell Nat, he’s gone mad, there’s pages of shit, just rambling on about how he misses me and wants me back, and how the cat misses me, and how stupid he was! The man sounds unhinged”
“I’m sorry Maria, I can’t talk now, we’re really busy, I’ll see you at lunch yeah?”
“How am I supposed to last till lunch with this thing burning a hole in my bag?”
“Shred it Maria, it’s the only way. Gotta go, bye”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Jim (work)
From: Nicky Heath
Subject: You selfish twat

You selfish fucking twat, unloading all your shit on me like that! I don’t care how you feel! I trusted you and you really hurt me! Stay away from me, I don’t want to see you, I don’t want to hear from you. You’ve ruined my day, STAY AWAY FROM ME!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home